Translate

Monday, October 27, 2014

Putting Faith In Peaches & Herb

...Now....yanno... when you start banking on the advice on a couple singers from The Wayback Machine like "Reunited" crooners, Peaches & Herb (whose Wiki bio says they have been a 'thing' since 1966 through the present day - -  I'm sorry - - what?  Really? Are you kidding me with this?), then you know you are either teetering perilously close to the edge of reason, and or close to the hour of an actual reunion.

I'm pretty sure it's only the latter for me in this instance.

Never mind.

It's been a lengthy stretch, and tomorrow night, The Man & I will be meeting up at ye olde international airport and zooming home in the dark where we will doubtless collapse, only to wake up in the small hours of the morning and....

....drive off for a medical procedure I'm having.

Ooo la la.

Okay, but the next several weeks are clear after that, and I'm looking forward to it but it's always a little scary.

What if I LOOK like I've aged as much as I FEEL like I've aged?
What if he remembers me two dress sizes ago and takes one look and runs for the departure gate?
What if he doesn't so much see the lovely home as much as the dust bunnies (rhinos) and disorganized linen closet?

...granted, this has never happened before, but this is the second longest stint apart we've done.

If you are contemplating a long distance relationship, let me tell you this - - it sucks.

But.

If the relationship is good?  It might be worth it.

I don't suggest entering into it for too long without an end-game plan in sight, and yes, everybody says "oh you're so lucky, you get allllll this space and time for yourself.".   Yah.  These people don't have kids.  Or medical issues.  True, nobody tells you you don't need another pair of black shoes or that salad isn't a meal or to stop singing into the wooden spoon while dancing around to the radio.  Nobody hogs the remote, nobody notices if you don't shave your legs, and if your haircut isn't working, nobody's there to see it.

On the other hand... there's a lot of time and space for yourself.  So you better make friends with you before you try getting involved with someone else.  Actually, that's true of us all.  And there's nobody to help you recover from your day parenting.  Or hold your hand at scary doctor's appointments.  Or buy your shoes.  Or carry your bags.  Or notice if you shave your legs.  (Double edged blade, er, sword, that is.)  There's nobody there.  At. All.

So I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  A lot.  I believe we've stood a good test of time (lots. of. time.) and there's no real reason to believe our reunion will be anything less than wonderfully, joyously jubilant and exciting.  That won't stop me worrying though.

Now.

Nookie.

Has it changed in the last seven months?  Have I missed anything? #itsbeenawhile  #revirginizationofaginger 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something you want to say, Cookie?